Some highlights from 2 days in the capital:
- Water Puppet Show. The best part was watching two phoenixes inappropriately dance and produce an egg. It was like watching two UChicago Phoenixes awkwardly ask each other out.
- Talking English. Near the lake in town, three Vietnamese university students approached us and asked to practice their English on camera for a homework assignment. I almost fell over laughing when the topic they were required to discuss was whether falling in love while at university was a good idea.
- Ho Chi Minh Complex. We didn’t see the body of Ho Chi Minh, but the museum was intriguing.
- Old Quarter. While the old quarter in Hanoi pales in comparison to that in Hoi An, it did offer one key item of amusement: specialty shops. My favorites were the tape store, the rope store, and the mannequin store.
- Temple of Literature. This was the first national university, and honors Confucius and other scholars.